Sunday 27 May 2012

Childhood memories and aspirations

I am going to merge 2 blogs in one


Day 25th is to blog about your childhood memory and day 26th is you doing now what you had always wanted to do when you were a child? What was your dream job as a child?


My fondest memories would have to be, when the old estate was around where I lived. I lived on a council estate for 16 years. The council decided to demolish it and turn in to housing sad times. The children stopped playing out and crime became more so the community was no longer the same. But while we were a happy community the kids ran the estate. During the summer I remember my Nan would allow me and my sister to play on the podium or in the corridors on her block. A group of us would get together and play knock down ginger. It’s a horrible game if you were older but great for us. The aim of the game is to knock on someone’s door preferably someone you don’t know and run off before you get caught. I know I know it’s a cruel thing to do but it kept us fit with all the running.


Another thing I used to love when I was younger is the estates community hall. Groups were run by parents to keep kids entertained. Short play, sport activities, picnics and my favourite the Chingford hall scouts. When we were young we did not want to be anywhere else.


I wish I had photos to show you of the estate, and the groups I would play around with but we never took photos while we were playing my parents only took pictures if there was a special occasion.


When you’re a chid you go through the same old answers to this question “what would you like to be when you’re older” I might have gone through them all, a nurse, a spy, a firewoman, and also wanted to be a violinist. I even studied hard in secondary school to take it seriously. When I finished secondary school I just got to the point like most children I was no longer interested. I now work at a college as an IT services co-ordinator and help on the service centre.

3 comments:

  1. You might find some old photos if you Google Images? Do you still play the violin occasionally? I would love if you would change you Settings, Comments to get rid of Word Verification, it's so hard to work out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alice

    I have taken off the word verification. I tried looking at Google for old pictures but there were only the modern houses that replaced the flats. However on saying that I am going to my parents I might get lucky and find some pictures.

    Wish me luck.
    Mel

    ReplyDelete
  3. I played violin for a year at secondary school too. I made a very bad noise. It was the only subject where my Mum used to ask if I'd done enough homework yet :-) I keep meaning to buy a violin on ebay to see if I can make a nicer noise now I've got a little more subtlety! Ax

    ReplyDelete